Week ending 16 November 2012
- New kernel has been uploaded to raring archive. Now we’re just waiting on a fix for nux to land before everyone can dist-upgrade to raring. Look for an announcement soon. Thanks to Jani Monoses for doing the heavy lifting here and the Ubuntu kernel team for taking care of the last mile.
- New benchmarking packages — ubuntu-benchmarking-tools and ubuntu-remote-debug-host-tools — uploaded to raring. Once your Nexus 7 is on raring, you’ll be able to install these convenient metapackages and help us start Ubuntu Pilates! Well done, Chris Wayne!
- A juju pbuilder charm has been submitted to the charm store. Once this is accepted, developers will be able to easily build ARM packages in the cloud. Thanks Scott Sweeny.
- Performance optimizations are already landing. Our onscreen keyboard, onboard, recently reduced its startup time from 45 seconds down to 6 seconds. Check out all the gory details in the bug, and big thanks to marmuta and Francesco Fumanti!
- We had our first weekly status meeting in #ubuntu-meeting. Come back every week for more.
Worst 5 Bugs
- #1065638 – Unity panels don’t display visuals – INPROGRESS. Thanks to Jay Taoko, we have a merge proposal for this bug, and once it is resolved, people will be able to dist-upgrade their tablets to raring.
- #1068994 – button1 gets stuck after a while – INPROGRESS. Daniel d’Andrada is fighting his way past grues in the dungeons of the X input stack and could use your help in debugging!
- #1068804 – Sounds only works after s3/resume cycle – BLOCKED.
Alex Chiang will escalate this bug to nVidia. Thanks to David Henningsson for collecting up some great notes and logs are in the bug.
- #1072920 – Rotating screen using gnome-settings does not rotate touch input – CONFIRMED. Needs an owner. The script that Bryce Harrington wrote (/usr/bin/xrotate) might be a good starting point for investigating this. Possibly related: Sometimes the screen seems to rotate to portrait mode by itself when coming out of suspend (http://pad.lv/1070755)
- #1072249 – Using desktop switcher causes unity to break – CONFIRMED. Needs an owner. Who wants to help?
- We are working with Platform QA on creating a set of guidelines and tools for the community to help us start benchmarking memory consumption and usage. Expect an announcement around 23 November.
- Converting our FAQ to a more friendly and community maintainable AskUbuntu format.
Brave souls can try upgrading to raring today with this apt-pinning recipe. Create the following file /etc/apt/preferences.d/ubuntu-nexus7-ppa and add the contents below. Thanks to Colin Watson for the tidbit.
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-ubuntu-nexus7